Champaca 12pc Seedlings Pack (12 to 20 inches)
Common Name: Champak
Scientific Name: Magnolia Champaca
The flowers from this tree are used to make the world’s most expensive perfume ‘Joy’. The extremely aromatic orange blooms appear nearly all year round. Grows to the size of a large shrub or small tree, 15-20′ in height.
- Place the seedlings in a warm, sheltered location in the garden or sun porch that receives morning sun. Champaca begins life as a second-story tree, receiving only dappled light in their native habitat. While under ideal conditions in the tropics a champaca tree may grow to 150 feet tall.
- Water the tree when the soil is dry to the touch. Fertilize biweekly with a liquid 10-10-10 fertilizer according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Plant the champaca in the garden in the spring, after all chance of frost is past. A south-facing wall that receives morning sun and some afternoon dappled shade provides a warm microclimate suitable for this tropical tree. Select a well-draining location that is sheltered from the wind and hot afternoon sun.
- Give the seedling plenty of water during its first couple of years of growth. After that water regularly in the summer when the tree is actively growing. Fertilize in the early spring with a balanced fertilizer according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Prune only to shape the tree and remove dead branches.
- Monitor the tree for aphids. Knock the aphids off with a strong stream of water. If there is a severe infestation, use an insecticidal soap to kill the aphids.